Sunday, October 25, 2020

World Food Program: Congo is the second largest country to starve after Yemen

Featured

50 million Americans voted by mail in the presidential election so far

More than 50 million Americans cast their ballots in the US presidential election by mail 11 days before the...

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes...
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

World Food Program WFP spokesman Herve Verheusel said the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has become the second-largest country in the world to starve after Yemen.

Verheuser said at a news conference in Geneva on Tuesday that the UN is now working to expand a major relief operation for displaced people in the north-east of the country, who have fled as a result of renewed inter-ethnic violence, forcing tens of thousands to flee their homes.

He pointed out that as many as 13 million people in the Congo are food insecure, including 5 million children suffering from acute malnutrition, noting that the program plans to double its assistance in the province of Ituri, suffering from Ebola, which also witnessed clashes in recent weeks that killed 160 People.

Herve Verheusel said that the UN program works to reach its assistance to about 300 thousand internally displaced compared to 116 thousand displaced, which was the United Nations organization to provide them monthly assistance as part of the ongoing relief operation in Ituri, explaining that this suffering occurred at the time of harvest directly, Fled to their homes in rural villages.

He noted that many of the victims of this increase in violence are malnourished, forced into the movement several times and are widely dispersed, looking for security in urban centers and in the bush.

The World Food Program spokesman confirmed that recent assessments indicate that hunger is worsening in Ituri province, particularly in areas that have suffered from ethnic conflicts in recent years, noting that the World Food Program plans to help up to 5.2 Congolese this year.

Earlier, Abebe Selassie, Africa director at the International Monetary Fund, referred to Chad and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) as countries with problems with their debt sustainability.

Read also: Death toll exceeds 1000 from Ebola in Congo

Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

Latest News

50 million Americans voted by mail in the presidential election so far

More than 50 million Americans cast their ballots in the US presidential election by mail 11 days before the...

Remains of ships sunk hundreds of years ago discovered in Utbury, Sweden

Archaeologists in Sweden have discovered the remains of small, sunken ships dating back 400 years ago, during excavations in central Gothenburg in the coastal...

New York authorities preparing for possible riots after the election

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the major American city authorities are preparing for possible unrest and riots in the city...

Trump: 180 million Americans would miss health care plans if Biden came to power

US President Donald Trump did not stop attacking his rival in the US presidential election, Democratic candidate Joe Biden, sending a message to Americans,...

The European Court of Human Rights condemns Turkey of violating the right to freedom of expression

The European Court of Human Rights has convicted Turkey of violating the right to freedom of expression of two university students who have been...

Related News