In conflict with Iran, the US government plans to send more troops into the region. President Donald Trump said in Washington on Friday that there were about 1,500 soldiers who were to be used primarily in a “protective” role.
Trump again accused the Iranian leadership of spreading “terror around the world”. He also said, “I do not think Iran wants to fight. And I certainly do not think they want to fight with us. “Trump emphasized that Iran should not be allowed to have nuclear weapons.
As late as Thursday, the US President said he saw no need to send more troops to the Middle East despite the crisis with Iran. Secretary-of-Defense Patrick Shanahan said a potential deployment of more soldiers was about protecting troops already stationed in the area. “Our job is deterrence. It’s not about war. “
Earlier this month, Trump’s National Security Advisor, John Bolton, had already announced plans to send an Aircraft Carrier Association and bomber squadron to the Middle East. A few days later, the Pentagon announced that another warship and anti-missile system would be deployed to the Middle East to respond to threats from Iran.