Saturday, April 17, 2021

US sanctions on Venezuela led to death of 40 thousand citizens: CPER study

Featured

Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com

US economic sanctions against Venezuela have killed 40,000 people, a US study center said on Wednesday.

- Advertisement -

The Center for Economic and Political Studies CEPR¬†said in a report published this week that the US sanctions imposed in the summer of 2017 are hampering the access of basic commodities such as food, medicine and medical supplies to the citizens, adding that the situation has worsened since Washington took additional punitive measures against Venezuela’s oil sector Earlier this year as part of efforts by President Donald Trump to oust President Nicolas Maduro.

The report, prepared by the Center’s expert, Mark Weisbrodt, and the award-winning economist at Columbia University, Jeffrey Sachs, stressed that US sanctions are illegal under US and international law and treaties signed by the US government. .

The report is based on its assessments of the National Living Conditions Survey conducted annually by three Venezuelan universities, which showed that the number of deaths in the country rose from 2017 to 2018 by 31 percent, more than 40,000 deaths.

Weisbrodt told the Independent newspaper that researchers are unable to provide convincing evidence that the high death rate in the country is a result of US sanctions, but coincided with the US measures that prevented the government of Caracas from repaying its foreign debt and resulted in lower prices oil products that have been the basis of the Venezuelan economy for years, and there is no other explanation for this unfortunate phenomenon.

For his part, a spokesman for the State Department said in commenting on the report that it relies only on assumptions and assumptions, blaming the Maduro government for the deterioration of the economic situation in the country.

- Advertisement -
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News

COVID-19: Ontario govt directs police to implement stay-home orders as the cases soars

Ontario has extended further two weeks state of emergency restricting interprovincial travel by placing new restrictions and powered police...
- Advertisement -

Related News