The United States Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on Wednesday asked federal judges to stop the policy of President Donald Trump’s administration from further separating families along the US-Mexico border.
It said the policy saw the US government separate more than 900 children from their parents since it officially ended last year.
In June 2018, the government said it would end a policy of zero tolerance to punish those who cross the border illegally and separate them from children following public outrage and the legal challenge presented by the ACLU.
U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego ordered the reunification of more than 2,800 juveniles in supervised court proceedings.
Yesterday, the ACLU returned to court claiming the government was still separating families, looking for a reason to promise to end the practice.
“The government, systematically separating large numbers of families based on a history of petty crime, highly suspicious irresponsible accusations, and errors in identifying parent-child relationships,” said the ACLU.
The Trump administration is trying to prevent the number of immigrant families arriving at the US-Mexico border seeking protection from poverty and violence in countries like Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador.
The government said it separated families when it suspected parents had a criminal record or questioned the relationship between adult immigrants and children.
In a 200-page motion, the rights group said the Trump administration.s policy is separating children based on offenses such as violating traffic laws and damaging property.