Venezuelan military forces have expressed their support for the government of President Nicolas Maduro against any US military intervention, saying they are waiting for arms in their hands.
Venezuelan military personnel issued a warning to the United States on Saturday when they took part in a “loyalty march” to pledge allegiance to President Maduro,.
“We will not allow invasion in country at all, under arms with our hands, we are waiting for you,” the Venezuelan armed forces said.
Washington and its allies have backed the Venezuelan opposition and are pressing Maduro to leave power. In addition, US officials have repeatedly stated that all options remain on the Venezuelan crisis, including military action.
Venezuelan President Maduro called on the country’s armed forces to wait for possible US military action against the Latin American country after a recent failed coup attempt.
As part of a campaign to push Maduro out of power, US Vice President Mike Pence gave incentives to Venezuelan military personnel to lure them into the desert and join the opposition.
Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guido, who declared himself president in January, had a “direct relationship” with the US military to overthrow President Maduro’s government.
On April 30, a small group of armed forces accompanying Guaido clashed with soldiers in an anti-government demonstration in Caracas coup attempt quickly ran out despite being supported by the Trump administration.
Maduro said in a televised speech that a group of soldiers who supported Guaido had been defeated and that 25 dissident soldiers had taken refuge in the Brazilian Embassy in Caracas.
In 2002, former President Hugo Chavez was ousted for two days in a US-backed coup, but eventually defeated and the late Venezuelan president returned to power. .
Maduro has repeatedly accused Washington of organizing a “coup” against his government, blaming the United States for the economic crisis in Venezuela.