Thursday, July 29, 2021
spot_img

Washington issues travel advice for Hong Kong

Advertisement

Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com
- Advertisement -

The United States issued travel advice to its people who want to go to Hong Kong, asking them to be careful while in the area, following street protests over the past month.

Demonstrations in the Asian financial hub have sparked protests over the extradition bill that is currently pending implementation, and it is now responding to a demand for reform of the democratic system.

“Protests and confrontations have now spread to neighborhoods where it was previously prohibited to hold gatherings and marches.

NBFI

“All of these demonstrations, whether small or no, are expected to continue,” the travel counsel posted on the websites of the United States Consulate in Hong Kong and Macau  on Wednesday.

Travel advice was raised to level two on a four-point scale.

The Australian government has also warned its citizens of the latest travel advice issued Wednesday.

On Monday, the first day of an open strike observed in the city, after violent clashes between police and anti-government protesters.

The city, which is controlled by China, has been protesting for months for rejecting a proposed bill allowing deportees to be tried in China.

Demonstrators attend march to support strike at Hong Kong shopping mall.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam, wary of problems, said Monday that recent protests in the city were pushing her to a “very dangerous situation” and challenging China’s sovereignty.

Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong region, said she had no intention of stepping down as anti-government protests.

On Sunday, China’s central government condemned the insult to China’s national flag by being thrown into the sea by some demonstrators – whom it called extremists – in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

A spokesman for the Hong Kong (Macao) Affairs Office of the Council of Ministers said in a statement that black-clad protesters removed the Chinese national flag from the flagpole in Hong Kong and threw it into the sea, these are horrific acts that hurt the feelings of all the Chinese people, including seven million Hong Kong people, and have exceeded the minimum of the principle of “one country, two systems”.

Read also: China condemns insult to flag by some protesters in Hong Kong

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News