Sunday, October 20, 2019

100 feared dead in Saudi air strikes in Yemen

Featured

Afghanistan: Presidential Election to begin today amid widespread security threats

Afghanistan: Voters flocked to the polling stations on Saturday (Today) to cast their ballots in the presidential election, amid...

Saudi Defense vulnerability against low flying objects

The Saudis were simply not prepared for such attacks? They have state-of-the-art fighter jets, but the Saudi defense systems...

Shinzo Abe reshuffles Japanese Cabinet, Shinjiro Koizumi appointed as environment minister

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe appoints foreign ministers and new defense ministers, in addition to elevating rising political figures,...
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair is a staff writer for World News Observer. He is studying ACCA in Pakistan. Besides Accountancy and writing pieces, he loves cooking and nature photography. Zain has attended various modern journalism workshops. Contact: [email protected]

More than 100 are believed to have been killed in air strikes by Saudi-led coalition forces on a detention center in Yemen, the International Red Cross Committee (ICRC) said Sunday.

Alliance forces said it was targeting facilities owned by Houthi rebels that had drones and missiles, but Houthi said the attack had demolished the building used as a prison.

ICRC rushed to a location in Dhamar, a city in southeast of Yemen with medical teams and hundreds of dead bodies.

ICRC spokesman Franz Rauchenstein said the location of the bombing was previously visited by the ICRC.

He said it was an empty college building and was used as a temporary detention facility.

“What’s most disturbing is that the attack targeted the prison.

“Attacking such a building is shocking and sad, inmates are protected by international law,” Rauchenstein said.

He said more than 100 were killed, and at least 40 survivors were treated for injuries at a hospital in the city, south of Sanaa.

ICRC troopers are working tirelessly to find survivors under the wreckage, he said, but fear of finding survivors is slim.

Read also: Houthi drones attack Saudi Arabia’s Shaybah oil field

Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair is a staff writer for World News Observer. He is studying ACCA in Pakistan. Besides Accountancy and writing pieces, he loves cooking and nature photography. Zain has attended various modern journalism workshops. Contact: [email protected]

Latest News

Johnson sticks to British parliaments’ attempts to delay Brexit

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he would not negotiate another postponement of  Brexit withdrawal after he lost a...

British House of Commons postpones vote on Brexit deal

The British parliament has postponed a decision on Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Brexit deal, inflicting a severe defeat on him. MPs voted 322 to...

Turkey, SDF accuses each other of ceasefire breach in Syria

More than 30 hours after the announcement of a provisional ceasefire in northern Syria, Turkey and Kurdish fighters (SDF) have accused each other of...

How Boris Johnson wants to lure Labor MPs

Boris Johnson would like to pave the way for a withdrawal on 31 October. The House of Commons meets for an extraordinary meeting this...

Does Turkey get what Erdogan wants?

Turkey had long vainly campaigned for the establishment of a "security zone" along its border with Syria. The agreement between President Recep Tayyip Erdogan...
- Advertisement -

Related News