Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Anti-extradition protests in Hong Kong ended peacefully

Featured

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes...

Indonesia to host Trade Expo Indonesia 2020 Virtually

The Government of Indonesia is once again hosting its biggest annual international business exhibition, the Trade Expo Indonesia (TEI)...
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

An anti-extradition protest parade ended peacefully at West Kowloon Station today, after thousands of protesters marched from Salisbury Garden through the busy area of ​​Tsim Sha Tsui, delivering live messages to Chinese mainland visitors.

The protest was held peacefully and calmly when the march began. Unlike previous protests, when dissatisfaction is targeted against the Hong Kong government, today’s protest aimed at Chinese mainland visitors.

The protest organizer said 230,000 took part, while the police said there were 56,000 people present at the height of the protest.

The anti-extradition procession started at Salisbury Garden at around 3.40pm local time with protesters walking through Tsim Sha Tsui, the busy tourist area of ​​Hong Kong to West Kowloon Station, where the speed train from Shenzhen arrived.

The police closed the West Kowloon Station with a barrier filled with water about two meters high around it.

Outside the station, the organizers waved banners containing their claims as more protesters arrived.

Their demands include removing extradition bill, the label of the June 12 protesters as ‘rioters’ was abolished, investigating allegations of police rudeness and releasing protesters detained.

Pro-democracy activist, Ventus Lau who applied for a permit for protest parade today told media that he did not expect the government to respond to the claim.

“What we want to do is show the land mass visitors that anti-extradition protests in Hong Kong are safer and dignified,” he said.

Earlier this month, Hundreds and Thousands gathered at temperatures above 30 degrees for the annual protest in central Victoria Park. “In recent years, we have become more active as we realized that the peaceful way does not work,” said a young protester.

For weeks, millions of people in Hong Kong have been protesting against a bill to enable foreigners to give deliveries to China. There were always violent clashes between protesters and police.

Since its transfer to China in 1997, the population of the former British Crown Colony of Hong Kong has enjoyed liberties such as those of opinions that are otherwise taboo in the People’s Republic under the slogan “one country, two systems”.

Opponents of the controversial amendment fear being exposed to China’s justice system. Human rights activists allegedly accused China of torture, arbitrary detention, forced confessions and lack of access to lawyers. Even abroad, the expatriation law, which had meanwhile been shelved, met with criticism. Financial advisers, bankers and lawyers are already withdrawing their private assets from Hong Kong.

Read also: Hong Kong: New protest planned on Friday and Sunday

Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

Latest News

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes in the 193-member UN General...

Indonesia to host Trade Expo Indonesia 2020 Virtually

The Government of Indonesia is once again hosting its biggest annual international business exhibition, the Trade Expo Indonesia (TEI) on 10 – 16 November...

The World Health Organization warns countries not to be complacent in measures to prevent Corona

The Executive Director of the World Health Organization's emergency program, Dr.Mike Ryan, has warned all countries of the world against negligence in following the...

South Korea records 102 new cases of coronavirus

South Korea's Quarantine Command Center said today, Tuesday, that the total number of people infected with Covid-19 rose to 24,805, an increase of 102...

Related News