Monday, October 26, 2020

Jacinda Ardern: Investigations into NZ volcanoes take up to a year

Featured

Belarus: Opposition leader in quarantine after coming into contact with an infected

The leader of the Belarusian opposition, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, announced that she is currently under quarantine after her contact with...

50 million Americans voted by mail in the presidential election so far

More than 50 million Americans cast their ballots in the US presidential election by mail 11 days before the...

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...
Robert Frank
Robert Frank
Robert started his career as a freelance content writer. Now, He is the founder of widely-recognized PR Agency. Robert still writes news pieces on various publications.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday that a formal investigation into a volcanic eruption on White Island last week could take up to a year and carry a potential prison sentence of five years.

Jacinda Ardern also announced a $5 million fund to help small businesses be affected by the eruption after New Zealanders pondered for a minute in honor of last week’s victims.

The official death toll from the sudden explosion on White Island is also known by the Maori as Whakaari remains 16 because two bodies believed to be in the waters around the island are still listed as missing.

An additional 26 people are still being treated at New Zealand and Australian hospitals, many in critical condition from severe burns. The dead and injured include tourists from the United States, Germany, China, Britain and Malaysia.

There has been growing criticism for allowing tourists to the island, a popular destination for daily visitors due to the active volcanic risk. It predicts that the tragedy may bring economic change to New Zealand’s leisure travelers.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne met her New Zealand counterpart here yesterday to express her gratitude to the country’s medical and emergency crew.

Legal experts said last week they expected a lawsuit to be filed in U.S. court by injured passengers and the families of the victims.

Read also: New Zealand volcano death toll rises to 8

Robert Frank
Robert Frank
Robert started his career as a freelance content writer. Now, He is the founder of widely-recognized PR Agency. Robert still writes news pieces on various publications.

Latest News

Belarus: Opposition leader in quarantine after coming into contact with an infected

The leader of the Belarusian opposition, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, announced that she is currently under quarantine after her contact with...

50 million Americans voted by mail in the presidential election so far

More than 50 million Americans cast their ballots in the US presidential election by mail 11 days before the start of the race, a...

Remains of ships sunk hundreds of years ago discovered in Utbury, Sweden

Archaeologists in Sweden have discovered the remains of small, sunken ships dating back 400 years ago, during excavations in central Gothenburg in the coastal...

New York authorities preparing for possible riots after the election

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the major American city authorities are preparing for possible unrest and riots in the city...

Trump: 180 million Americans would miss health care plans if Biden came to power

US President Donald Trump did not stop attacking his rival in the US presidential election, Democratic candidate Joe Biden, sending a message to Americans,...

Related News