Malaysian Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced the imposition of closure measures again across the country, starting tomorrow, Wednesday, amid the third wave of new infections of the Coronavirus.
Muhyiddin said in a statement, that the decision to place the entire country under the procedures known as the “Restriction Order” until June 7, was necessary due to the rapid increase in the number of cases of Covid-19.
“With the number of daily cases exceeding 4,000 cases, and the number of active cases reaching 37,396, in addition to recording 1,700 deaths, Malaysia is facing a third wave of Covid-19 that could lead to a national crisis,” he said.
Muhyiddin pointed to the discovery of new strains of Covid-19 in the country, the diminishing capacity of the national health care system, and poor compliance with procedures as reasons for what he called a “radical decision”, and this is also the first time that the government imposed a “movement restriction order”, for a period of time. 4 weeks previously issued for up to 2 weeks at a time.
The announcement surprised many because it came only hours after Defense Minister Ismail Sabri Yaqoub said that the government had repeatedly pledged to avoid using the “movement restriction order” across the country as a means to combat the epidemic.
After announcing a “restraining order” for the second time and declaring a state of emergency in January, Mohieddin said the government would instead use targeted measures in its attempt to contain the disease.
The number of infections recorded by Malaysia since the start of the pandemic rose to 444,484 cases after 3,454 new infections were recorded today, according to the latest official data.