Tuesday, October 27, 2020

New Zealand volcano death toll rises to 8

Featured

Covid-19 vaccine could be available by end of the year: Fauci

Before the end of this year, it will be possible to know if there is a vaccine against COVID-19...

Belarus: Opposition leader in quarantine after coming into contact with an infected

The leader of the Belarusian opposition, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, announced that she is currently under quarantine after her contact with...

50 million Americans voted by mail in the presidential election so far

More than 50 million Americans cast their ballots in the US presidential election by mail 11 days before the...
Mehboob Ali Shaikh
Mehboob Ali Shaikh
Mehboob Ali Shaikh is the Bureau Chief of World News Observer. Based in Canada, working with Toronto 360 TV. Mehboob has accomplished Years of experience in print and broadcast media. He is an active participant in Social media strategies, including Facebook, Twitter and Skype.

New Zealand Police announced that the death toll of the White Island volcano eruption had risen to 8.

The local media network said on Wednesday that there are 29 other people who suffer from physical burns due to the volcano and are currently receiving the necessary treatment in hospitals in different regions in New Zealand.

The two latest confirmed fatalities were Berend Hollander, 16, and his brother Matthew Hollander, 13, both students at Knox Grammar school in Sydney.

“We are incredibly saddened to have lost three of our closest friends,” their friends Alex, Daniel, Ellie, Leanne, Paul and Samantha said in a statement issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

The volcano vented more steam and mud on Wednesday, prompting authorities to delay plans to recover the bodies of victims.

22 of the 29 suffer from serious burns and receive air support due to their condition.

Death toll from New Zealand volcanic eruption rose to 8 on Wednesday

New Zealand authorities will examine whether the White Island tour company were aware of any dangers or increased risks of an eruption.

Among the missing are Anthony and Kristine Langford from Sydney and their daughter Winona, 17. Their son Jesse, 19, has reportedly been identified as one of those being treated in hospital.

Police believe 47 visitors were on the island at the time of the eruption, 24 of them Australian, nine Americans, five New Zealanders and others from Germany, Britain, China and Malaysia. Many were passengers aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Ovation of the Seas.

Read also: Europe’s largest active volcano erupted

Mehboob Ali Shaikh
Mehboob Ali Shaikh
Mehboob Ali Shaikh is the Bureau Chief of World News Observer. Based in Canada, working with Toronto 360 TV. Mehboob has accomplished Years of experience in print and broadcast media. He is an active participant in Social media strategies, including Facebook, Twitter and Skype.
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Covid-19 vaccine could be available by end of the year: Fauci

Before the end of this year, it will be possible to know if there is a vaccine against COVID-19...

Belarus: Opposition leader in quarantine after coming into contact with an infected

The leader of the Belarusian opposition, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, announced that she is currently under quarantine after her contact with the Slovenian Foreign Minister Anzi...

50 million Americans voted by mail in the presidential election so far

More than 50 million Americans cast their ballots in the US presidential election by mail 11 days before the start of the race, a...

Remains of ships sunk hundreds of years ago discovered in Utbury, Sweden

Archaeologists in Sweden have discovered the remains of small, sunken ships dating back 400 years ago, during excavations in central Gothenburg in the coastal...

New York authorities preparing for possible riots after the election

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the major American city authorities are preparing for possible unrest and riots in the city...

Related News