Sunday, January 19, 2020

Protesters in Hong Kong convey their message to the US consulate

Featured

European Union forces Apple to abandon Lightning charging port

Recent reports revealed that the European Union may force "Apple" to change its iPhone charger again, to make it...

Mother cries beside her son’s coffin, among the victims of Ukrainian plane crash

A mother cried during the funeral of her son, one of the victims of the Ukrainian plane, which was...

NASA: 2019 Was the 2nd-Hottest Year on Record

According to independent analyses by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Earth's global surface temperatures in...
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair is a staff writer for World News Observer. He is studying ACCA in Pakistan. Besides Accountancy and writing pieces, he loves cooking and nature photography. Zain has attended various modern journalism workshops. Contact: [email protected]

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protesters plan to convey their message to the US consulate on Sunday after another night of violence in the 14th week of unrest in the Chinese-ruled city.

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Saturday urged the Chinese government to show restraint in Hong Kong.

Esper made the appeal in Paris as police prevented protesters from blocking access to the city’s international airport and fired tear gas for the second night in ​​Mong Kok, the most densely populated place on Earth. The area has an average of 130,000 people packed inside each square kilometer.

The protesters set fire to the streets and police threw several protesters. Hong Kong returned to China’s rule in 1997 under the “one country, two systems” formula, which ensures the city’s residents enjoy freedoms not allowed on the mainland. Many Hong Kong residents fear Beijing will curtail the autonomy.

China denies accusations of interference and says Hong Kong is an internal affair, condemning the protests, accusing the United States and Britain of fomenting unrest and warning of damaging the economy.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced concessions last week in a bid to end the protests, including the official repeal of the unpopular extradition bill for China. But many said their movements were insufficient and came too late.

The bill would have allowed the extradition of suspects to China despite the existence of an independent judicial system in Hong Kong dating back to British rule.

Demonstrations have turned into calls for more democracy, and many protesters have vowed to continue.

The State Department has updated its travel advice to Hong Kong and warned that US citizens and consular staff have become targets of a recent China propaganda campaign “falsely accusing the United States of fomenting unrest“.

Read also: Point of no return: Thousands of Hong Kong students prefer protests to books

Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair is a staff writer for World News Observer. He is studying ACCA in Pakistan. Besides Accountancy and writing pieces, he loves cooking and nature photography. Zain has attended various modern journalism workshops. Contact: [email protected]

Latest News

European Union forces Apple to abandon Lightning charging port

Recent reports revealed that the European Union may force "Apple" to change its iPhone charger again, to make it...

Trump lawyers: Impeaching the president violates the constitution, an attempt to interfere with the election results

Lawyers for US President Donald Trump stressed that the president's trial procedures were illegal and violated the constitution and an attempt to interfere with...

Women March 2020: Thousands participated in rallies across the United States

Women March 2020: Thousands of women participated in a march in downtown Washington, DC, and in other cities across the United States; Saturday, in...

10 charred bodies found inside a truck in Mexico

The Attorney General in the southern state Guerrero of Mexico, known for violence linked to organized crime, Inaky Blanco, has announced the finding of...

Buckingham Palace announces stripping Harry and Megan of royal titles

Buckingham Palace has stripped of the royal titles of  Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex and his wife, Megan Markle a little while ago,...

Related News