Friday, December 4, 2020

New Zealand companies considers withdrawing ads from Facebook and Google

Featured

Kamala Harris: “Our administration will continue to put working people front and center.”

Kamala Harris, US Vice President-elect Joe Biden, promised to return attention to the American worker and put his requirements...

Russian Ambassador: We still have time to extend the START treaty with America

Russian Ambassador to Washington Anatoly Antonov announced that there is still enough time to extend the new "START" treaty...

Christmas in Italy: Movement between regions banned amid high COVID toll

Italy announced a ban on movement between local areas during the Christmas holidays; In order to contain the spread...
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

Number of New Zealand companies are considering whether to publish their ads on social media such as Google and Facebook or not. Two industry groups urged them not to do so following last week’s mass shootings, which were broadcast on Facebook and re-shared on other platforms.

- Advertisement -

New Zealand’s terrorist incident occurred, killing nearly 50 people while praying in Christchurch on Friday. Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, was charged with mass murder on Saturday, while Lotto, stated that it has already withdrawn advertisements from social media “because the tone was not good in the wake of these incidents.”

“Like the rest of the country, Lotto New Zealand is shocked and saddened by the tragic incident in Christchurch on Friday,” said Christine Robinson, spokeswoman for Lotto News. “One of the country’s largest banks, of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, is in talks on whether to withdraw its ads from social media.

The Association of New Zealand Advertisers and the Commercial Communications Council asked all advertisers on Monday to consider placing their ads on Facebook and accused other platform owners of failing to take steps to control hate content, linked to social networking platforms that are unable or unwilling to take responsibility for the content on those sites ”

Facebook said on Saturday it had removed 1.5 million videos worldwide of the mosque attack within the first 24 hours and removed all the edited versions of the video that do not display graphic content.

Both Facebook and Alphabet said they also used tools, a mechanism to identify and remove violent content, while Spark NZ Ltd, the largest telecommunications company in New Zealand, worked with a number of broadband providers late on Friday to cut access to dozens of sites that were redistributing the video of killings, to prevent the spread.

- Advertisement -

“This is a very drastic step, we have not done that before,” said spokesman Andrew Perry. He declined to name the sites that had been banned, saying the list was evolving.

Perry said Spark did not block access to Facebook because many customers relied on it to contact friends and families after the massacre. He said the company was not considering withdrawing ads from any social media platform.

 

- Advertisement -
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Kamala Harris: “Our administration will continue to put working people front and center.”

Kamala Harris, US Vice President-elect Joe Biden, promised to return attention to the American worker and put his requirements...

Russian Ambassador: We still have time to extend the START treaty with America

Russian Ambassador to Washington Anatoly Antonov announced that there is still enough time to extend the new "START" treaty on reducing the nuclear arsenal...

Christmas in Italy: Movement between regions banned amid high COVID toll

Italy announced a ban on movement between local areas during the Christmas holidays; In order to contain the spread of the Coronavirus (Covid-19), the...

NATO: Early withdrawal could expose Afghanistan to terrorism

NATO said that an early withdrawal from Afghanistan could leave the country a haven for international terrorism. The Secretary-General of NATO, Jens Stoltenberg, announced that...

Trump’s European allies resisted sanctions on Iranian banks

A diplomatic correspondence showed that Germany, France, and Britain urged the administration of US President Donald Trump in late October to reconsider imposing new...

Related News