Monday, August 10, 2020

Belgium tracks 94 terrorists and suspects with flights PNR implemented since 2018

Featured

United Nations: Floods affect 38 million people in China and 1.4 million in Bangladesh

Stephen Dujarric, a spokesman for the United Nations Secretary-General, said that the floods are still affecting many countries in...

Biden says his economic plan will create 5 million US jobs

US Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on Thursday pledged to spend $700 billion on US-made products and industrial research,...

Brazil President Bolsonaro tested positive for coronavirus

Brazilian newspaper "Atardi" confirmed that Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro underwent a fourth test for Coronavirus after he showed some...
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

The Belgian authorities announced on Sunday that the system of registration of passengers known as PNR (Passenger Name Record), implemented in the country since the first month of 2018, the security services have helped arrest and track down 94 terrorists and suspects in various crimes.

According to the Crisis Center of the Belgian government under the PNR system, airlines are obliged to provide all information they have about passengers who are scheduled to arrive, depart or transit through one of Belgium’s six airports.

Read also: Belgium: 75 percent citizens feel secure in the country

The system delivers passenger information 48 hours before registration to a team within the crisis center, which consists of specialists from local and federal police, state security, customs and Belgian military intelligence.

It is noteworthy to mention that the Center qualifies its results by noting that 40 out of 94 terror suspects were on the current register of foreign terrorist fighters FTF, and that any of the suspects arrested by PNR, required as a result of an activity or has been the subject of suspicion or conviction. With the help of Passenger Name Record, the men in question were arrested for questioning and interrogation and then released.

54 men and women were identified in a register PNR, after being named in cases of terrorism or extremism, but were not tracked by the police, but identified with the help of the Crisis Center team.

Check on PNR record began in Belgium last January, it now houses the top 29 airlines, covering 70% of all passengers arriving or leaving the country. The remaining 30% travel with one of 50 smaller airlines.

“In order to maintain privacy, our analysts only get information about the wanted passengers in terms of fighting terrorism or organized crime”, team manager Gunter Schoppens said.

Read also: MasterCard notifies data breach in Belgium and Germany

Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

Latest News

No Electrocutions Due To Ke Infrastructure

In a statement issued in local press, K-Electric expressed grief over the electrocution incidents reported through local media from...

United Nations: Floods affect 38 million people in China and 1.4 million in Bangladesh

Stephen Dujarric, a spokesman for the United Nations Secretary-General, said that the floods are still affecting many countries in the Asian continent and caused...

G20 finance officials pledge to agree on digital services taxes this year

Financial officials in the Group of Twenty countries said today, that they are still committed to resolving disputes over digital services taxes and reaching...

Erdogan’s party postpones the legal holiday to pass a law imposing restrictions on social media

The ruling Justice and Development Party in Turkey, which is led by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, is heading to postpone the legal holiday with...

Biden says his economic plan will create 5 million US jobs

US Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on Thursday pledged to spend $700 billion on US-made products and industrial research, which he said would create...

Related News