Wednesday, October 21, 2020

French police continue searching man who posted bomb in Lyon

Featured

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes...

Indonesia to host Trade Expo Indonesia 2020 Virtually

The Government of Indonesia is once again hosting its biggest annual international business exhibition, the Trade Expo Indonesia (TEI)...
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair is a staff writer for World News Observer. He is studying ACCA in Pakistan. Besides Accountancy and writing pieces, he loves cooking and nature photography. Zain has attended various modern journalism workshops. Contact: [email protected]

French police continue to track a man who left a bomb that exploded on a pedestrian shopping street in central Lyon on Friday, injuring 13 people, including a 10-year-old girl.

Anti-terrorism prosecutor Remy Heitz told reporters 90 police investigators, backed by 30 forensic officers and technicians, as well as local police, were looking for the man seen in security surveillance cameras.

The man appeared in the footage, leaving a bag of paper in front of a bakery. The parcel exploded about a minute after he left.

Police tracked down the man, who appeared in his 30s, for 10 minutes before the attack and was still trying to identify as he was riding a bicycle and wearing sunglasses and a hat.

Heitz said there had been no announcement of responsibility so far for the attack and any witnesses to the incident called on police to help find the suspect. Police on Saturday night released another photograph of the suspect riding the bicycle.

A source close to the investigation said the investigators were able to isolate traces of DNA from the remnants of the bomb found. The police also found that the attacker had used triacetone triperoxide, a highly explosive substance.

Heitz said the case was being dealt with as part of an investigation into a terrorist act given the circumstances of the day-long attack and the use of an explosive device that could damage a large number of people with screws and metal balls.

He pointed out that the police found a remote detonator and fragments of white plastic, which were probably parts of the bomb.

Eleven people were injured in the explosion, including a 10-year-old girl.

Authorities have stepped up surveillance and public security after Islamist militant groups carried out a series of attacks across France that have killed dozens and wounded hundreds over the past few years.

In the aftermath of the Lyon bombing, the French Interior Ministry called on local authorities to increase surveillance and tighten security in and around public places and public events across the country.

Authorities have beefed up army patrols in Lyon.

The police chief in the Lyon area banned the demonstrations in the northern part of the city.

Read also: Dozen injured in explosion in France, Lyon

Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair
Zain Zubair is a staff writer for World News Observer. He is studying ACCA in Pakistan. Besides Accountancy and writing pieces, he loves cooking and nature photography. Zain has attended various modern journalism workshops. Contact: [email protected]

Latest News

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes in the 193-member UN General...

Indonesia to host Trade Expo Indonesia 2020 Virtually

The Government of Indonesia is once again hosting its biggest annual international business exhibition, the Trade Expo Indonesia (TEI) on 10 – 16 November...

The World Health Organization warns countries not to be complacent in measures to prevent Corona

The Executive Director of the World Health Organization's emergency program, Dr.Mike Ryan, has warned all countries of the world against negligence in following the...

South Korea records 102 new cases of coronavirus

South Korea's Quarantine Command Center said today, Tuesday, that the total number of people infected with Covid-19 rose to 24,805, an increase of 102...

Related News