Venezuela’s opposition leader Juan Guaido has announced a resumption of dialogue with the government of Nicolas Maduro. The self-proclaimed transitional president said on Sunday that a meeting on the Caribbean island of Barbados would speak of a “way out of the dictatorship”.
The goal was a departure Maduro, the formation of a transitional government and free elections under international observation. Juan Guaido did not mentioned a date for the meeting in Barbados.
Venezuelan Communications Minister Jorge Rodriguez indirectly confirmed the planned dialogue by publishing a picture of a statement by the Norwegian Foreign Ministry. It states that both parties to the conflict would meet in Barbados “this week” in order to move forward in the “search for a negotiated and constitutional solution”.
Norway hosted initial talks between representatives of the Venezuelan government and the opposition in May. But the talks ended without a tangible result.
Read also: Venezuelan army supports Guaido?
After the death of a detained because of alleged coup plans naval officer in late June Guaido then closed further talks with the government. According to him, Corvette captain Rafael Acosta Arevalo had been “brutally tortured” before he died.
President Maduro and opposition leader Juan Guaido have been fighting for months in a bitter power struggle in the South American crisis state. Guaido himself was appointed interim president of the country in January. He is recognized by more than 50 states, including Germany and the United States. Maduro, on the other hand, has the support of countries like Russia and knows the Venezuelan military leadership.
In addition to the political crisis, Venezuela is also suffering from an unprecedented economic crisis. There is a lack of food and medicines, there are always power outages.
According to an opposition MEP, there was a power outage at the country’s largest refinery complex on the North Venezuelan Paraguana Peninsula this weekend. The National Guard and the domestic intelligence service Sebin had closed the entrances to the two refineries concerned, said the deputy Luis Stefanelli.