Thursday, October 22, 2020

New Zealand companies considers withdrawing ads from Facebook and Google

Featured

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes...

Indonesia to host Trade Expo Indonesia 2020 Virtually

The Government of Indonesia is once again hosting its biggest annual international business exhibition, the Trade Expo Indonesia (TEI)...
Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

Number of New Zealand companies are considering whether to publish their ads on social media such as Google and Facebook or not. Two industry groups urged them not to do so following last week’s mass shootings, which were broadcast on Facebook and re-shared on other platforms.

New Zealand’s terrorist incident occurred, killing nearly 50 people while praying in Christchurch on Friday. Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, was charged with mass murder on Saturday, while Lotto, stated that it has already withdrawn advertisements from social media “because the tone was not good in the wake of these incidents.”

“Like the rest of the country, Lotto New Zealand is shocked and saddened by the tragic incident in Christchurch on Friday,” said Christine Robinson, spokeswoman for Lotto News. “One of the country’s largest banks, of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, is in talks on whether to withdraw its ads from social media.

The Association of New Zealand Advertisers and the Commercial Communications Council asked all advertisers on Monday to consider placing their ads on Facebook and accused other platform owners of failing to take steps to control hate content, linked to social networking platforms that are unable or unwilling to take responsibility for the content on those sites ”

Facebook said on Saturday it had removed 1.5 million videos worldwide of the mosque attack within the first 24 hours and removed all the edited versions of the video that do not display graphic content.

Both Facebook and Alphabet said they also used tools, a mechanism to identify and remove violent content, while Spark NZ Ltd, the largest telecommunications company in New Zealand, worked with a number of broadband providers late on Friday to cut access to dozens of sites that were redistributing the video of killings, to prevent the spread.

“This is a very drastic step, we have not done that before,” said spokesman Andrew Perry. He declined to name the sites that had been banned, saying the list was evolving.

Perry said Spark did not block access to Facebook because many customers relied on it to contact friends and families after the massacre. He said the company was not considering withdrawing ads from any social media platform.

 

Zubair Yaqoob
Zubair Yaqoob
The author has diversified experience in investigative journalism. He is Chief content editor at wnobserver.com He can be reached at: [email protected]

Latest News

New York authorities preparing for possible riots after the election

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the major American city authorities are preparing for possible unrest...

Trump: 180 million Americans would miss health care plans if Biden came to power

US President Donald Trump did not stop attacking his rival in the US presidential election, Democratic candidate Joe Biden, sending a message to Americans,...

The European Court of Human Rights condemns Turkey of violating the right to freedom of expression

The European Court of Human Rights has convicted Turkey of violating the right to freedom of expression of two university students who have been...

GIP releases inaugural annual report at second plenary meeting

The Second Plenary Meeting of the Green Investment Principles for the Belt and Road (GIP) was held today in Beijing, with over 130 representatives...

Pakistan re-elected as member UNHRC

Pakistan has been re-elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (HRC) with an overwhelming majority securing 169 votes in the 193-member UN General...

Related News