Secretary-General António Guterres called on Friday for an immediate ceasefire in Syria, his official spokesman said in a statement.
The spokesman added that Guterres was following “with great concern” the escalation in northwestern Syria and reports that dozens of Turkish soldiers were killed in an air strike.
On his part, Rahmi Dogan, governor of the southeastern province of Khatai, said on Friday that 33 Turkish soldiers were killed in an air strike carried out by the Syrian government forces in Idlib region.
He added that none of the soldiers wounded in the attack was in serious condition.
For its part, the Syrian Observatory announced urgent news on Thursday evening, according to Al Arabiya News, that 34 Turkish soldiers were killed during the air strikes that took place between the towns of Al-Barah and Billion in Idlib countryside.
Dogan had admitted a governor earlier Friday that 29 Turkish soldiers in total had been killed as a result of an attack by the Syrian government forces in the Idlib area.