Trial of 9/11 conspirators scheduled to start in 2021 in the United States detention center in Guantanamo against five alleged participants in the planning for the attacks. A military judge has announced that jury selection for the trial of alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the four other defendants for January 11, 2021, the US media said Friday.
The trial against the 9/11 conspirators will start exactly eight months before the 20th anniversary of the attacks, which killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington, and the state of Pennsylvania. The five alleged men involved in the preparations for the attacks were arrested in Pakistan in 2002 and 2003 and later taken to Guantanamo detention center.
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed blamed for planning the 9/11 attacks. Among the defendants is Ramzi bin al-Shibh, a Yemeni citizen accused of being a key facilitator for the September 11 attacks. He had lived in the Hamburg terror cell with Mohammed Atta, the leader of the suicide pilots of September 11th.
The indictments against the five men date back to 2012. Since then, however, only preliminary hearings have been held to prepare the trial. The start of the trial, which is now apparently set by the judge, has already been described by several defense lawyers as unrealistic. Also, the camp in Guantanamo is not suitable for a process of this size. They told the radio station NPR.
The trial is set to take place in front of a military commission specifically set up under former President George W. Bush to try the accused in the “war on terror”. It would be the first trial before one of these special tribunals. Even though the military commissions under President Barack Obama have been reformed, they remain highly controversial. Because the rights of the defendant are limited compared to ordinary courts.